Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default What resistor to use for a single LED

John-Del wrote:
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 12:48:04 PM UTC-4, Terry Schwartz wrote:

One of the important features of those testers is that they provide a
load to the circuit under test, something the LED won't be able to provide.

That too can be addressed with an appropriate resistor across the entire circuit.

Yes, but now it's getting absurd. We're up to two LEDs (to counteract
polarity, a current limiting resistor, and now a load resistor.

In the meantime, Oldfart could run to Harbor Freight and buy this for U.S. $3.99:

https://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-tester-30779.html

If he pays attention to the Sunday circulars and can work a scissors (or
tear paper reasonably well), he can get an LED flashlight, moving
blanket, tarp, or DMM *free* with *any* purchase if he brings in a coupon.

I guess that depends on distance traveled.

Greg