Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heat sink grease

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:31:09 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:16:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I've posted my test results in sci.electronics.design. I'll see if I
can find the article. You might find it of interest.

This should work:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.design/s_TJxYnypVk/1oSFPQdCBwAJ

A bit on tooth paste:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.design/s_TJxYnypVk/545qJWVLBwAJ

Using gold leaf:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.design/s_TJxYnypVk/yCgpwwtQBwAJ

Plenty more in that thread:

I found a more complete list of thermal conductivity:

W/m*K
Diamond 1000
c-BN 740 (Cubic Boron Nitride)
h-BN 600 (Hexagonal Boron Nitride)
Silver 406
Copper 385
Gold 314
AlN 285 (aluminum nitride ceramic)
Aluminum 205
Graphite 200
Carbon 150
SiC 120
Brass 109
Indium 86
ZnO 50 (zinc oxide)
Al2O3 25 (aluminum oxide ceramic)
Pastes 4.0
SilPad 2000 3.5
Circuit Works 1.84
Dow Corning 340 0.67

Note that most white thermal goo at the low end of the thermal
conductivity list with Dow Corning 340 in the really awful category.
Don't believe me? See:
http://www4.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/details.aspx?prod=01015443&type=PROD
and look in the box under "properties".
Thermal Conductivity = 0.67 Watts per meter K

I use some very fine particle size diamond lapping compounds in my
shop. Maybe I should consider using some for heat sink compound next
time I want to overclock the crap out of something. In fact, it could
first be used for lapping the parts and then just left in place.
Eric