Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heat sink grease

On Thursday, 12 April 2018 06:38:19 UTC+1, wrote:

When mounting power transistors and chips to a heat sink they often use
heat shrink grease to help dissipate the heat. Over the years I have
replaced or added this grease which I purchased at Radio Shack. One tube
lasted many years for the occasional times I needed it.

I dont need any right now, but I do not have any more on hand for the
next time i need it.

Anyhow, I understand this grease is pure 100% silicone grease. I've seen
it in both clear and white. I just tuned up my car and replaced the
plugs and wires. The auto parts store guy suggested using something
called "Spark Plug boot grease". It was only $3 and I know all too well
how plug wires tend to get stuck on the plugs and by the time I get them
off, I ripped off the terminal inside the boot. So, I bought and used
this grease. (which I know also repels moisture from getting into the
plug boots).

There is a lot left in the tube and I was just putting it away so I can
find it the next time I need it. I was reading the package and it says
100% pure silicone grease.

Hmmmm, wouldn't this be the same stuff used to mount semiconductors to
heat sinks? It sure does look the same too... If it's the same, I'll
have some for heat sink use too, and in that case, it gets put in with
my electronics repair stuff, rather than in my garage. I doubt it's
affected by cold weather, but keeping it in the house will keep it at
room temp all year long, rather than freezing in the garage in winter.

I thought I'd post this to see if anyone has used this for
semiconductors on heat sink, grease, or is there some reason NOT to use
this stuff for that purpose?

(If this is the same stuff, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy it at an
auto parts store).

heatsink compound is grese loaded with zinc oxide powder. The ZO provides the thermal conductivity.

If you're stuck for some, toothpaste is surprisingly good. I tried it on a high diss AMD 8 core CPU, it only ran a couple of degrees hotter than the proper stuff.

NT