Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Heat sink grease

I like Dow 340. Also, do you know how to apply it ? You put a daub or a bead near or between the mounting screw(s) and tighten to squeeze out the excess. Spreading it can cause air pockets which defeats the purpose. This method prevents that.

You probably won't find a website that tells this method, but I know of what I speak. Just like you won't find on the web WHY to use 100 % ethylene glycol for your engine coolant, but I can make me case and it is hard to argue against. Anyone wants to dispute it make your case and then my case will bury you. Guaranteed.

You get sort of a feel for how big of a daub or bead to apply. Ideally it should stick slightly out the sides of the device, that assures full coverage. You don't want a huge amount of excess. Also in some cases it is a good idea to push the device on to the heatsink by hand with as much force as possible. Screws strip in aluminum and some of them have a spring type hold down.

The clear stuff is no good. Even the best stuff is actually a thermal insulator but it beats air. the white stuff has microscopic particles in suspension and they do most of the heat conduction. the clear stuff doesn't have it. Don't use it.