Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ethernet LAN Detection

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 13:26:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"Make life easy for yourself and temporarily disable the
wireless interface on the computah. Make sure that the
ethernet interface is enabled. "

Just my two cents here - with what all it takes in Winblows to
disable the wifi, it might be easier to just disable it temporarily
at the router. If it is your router or is in your name you
have the master password, so it is just a matter of typing
an address in a browser and a few clicks later you have no
wifi. It might pick up wifi from the neighbors but if you
aren't or can't sign in, it should look for an internet
connection and default to the ethernet.

Far too complexicated. It's much easier to just place the router
inside a metal trash can for the duration of the test. No cryptic
incantations to type, no icons to click, and nothing else to change.
No teach-n-type, no drag-n-drop, and no point-n-click. Just lift the
lid and toss-n-dump.

That is unless they removed even more stuff from Windows, don't
get me started on that, I still want 98SE back, it did more
for me than anything since.

If ancient Windoze 98SE was that good, Windoze 3.1 must have been even
better. If that still has too much "stuff", then perhaps Windoze 1.0,
which lacked a preemptive scheduler and overlapping windows would be
even better. Never mind the future... things were always better in
the past. If having four speeds in forward is too confusing, you only
have to worry about one speed in reverse.

Not to worry (much). The past is not forgotten. You can run most of
the old operating systems on your PC:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/7-classic-versions-of-windows-and-mac-os-you-can-run-in-a-browser/
Windows 1.0 and others in your browser for that nostalgia fix:
https://www.pcjs.org/
Too advanced for you? You can usually run your old DOS programs using
DOSbox:
https://www.dosbox.com
http://ykhwong.x-y.net (what I run)

Now it seems everything I want automatic is manual and a big
hassle, and everything I don't want automatic is and it screws
it up half the time and takes more trouble to set it how I want
it than it would to just do it in the first place.

Designing a product that works the way everyone expects, does
everything for everyone, and can be configured for everyone's personal
idiosyncrasies, is unsurprisingly difficult.

Enough rant, I think my method will work and it might be easier.
less typing at least.

Mine is better.

Other than that I know nothing. (Sgt. Schultz voice)

That's a tolerable substitute for "Everything you know is wrong".

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558