Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP LASER Printer CM1312nfi MFP Toner Cartridges

"I'll try to cover the low points of your stream of consciousness
adventure in printer repair"

LOL, I do appreciate that. (that thread I said there was nobody whose opinion I respect more, that was a mistake, I meant YOU)

"I have a CP1518 in my office waiting for me to spend some time raising it from the dead. The previous owner ran about 60,000 pages through it in about 6 months. That produced enough wear on the plastic parts to have it stop printing. It looks new on the outside, but very worn on the inside. I would expect such a printer to last longer, but I guess that was only the old HP company. "

If you want, I have almost every part for the thing from the parts mule. I might just send them to you for shipping. I will never use the thing enough to wear it to that point. If you want to pay something fine, just charge the **** out of the customer of course. Whatever.

"Yes, the toner cart chip replacement works. I have had some defective chips, but they were quickly replaced by the vendor. I'll spare you my rant on refill, counterfeit, and profit protected toner carts. "

Rant or not, I do hope it doesn't get on a moral train idolizing HP and their attempt to capture a market so they can gouge people. I know the rollers wear out but for one, how much ? And for two, form what I have seen of HP they don't give a flying **** about anything but money coming in, so do unto other as they do unto you. After paying $ 500 for this thing the least they could've done is give me full toner cartridges with it.

"The deterioration in print quality you described was probably dirty optics."

I figured that out when I saw the rotating mirror. things have changed and them people are gone. I don't even smoke cigarettes now, and if I burn one it is out in the garage. but this does not wear the gears, so that offer it not all that bad. If you want I'll gather up everything and list it so you can decide what you want and not. Plus, all that stuff did not come from the printer I bought and used, it is from the parts printer.

"I

suggest painting the insides with alcohol until most of the residue is gone.. Make sure you have a plastic catch basin to trap the dripping dirty alcohol."

I saw the innards, the nylon is still white, the grease where it is is good, I think the mirror somehow attracted that smog more than the other parts. And it wasn't that old when it was taken out of service. I thought it was running low on toner, but it wasn't.

"I've only done this once, and have refused to do it

again."

You should see some of the jobs I had to do. (not really) Bad enough cleaning capacitor crap, but sometimes there was roach and rodent feces, luckily not anything alive because they were careful about that. But it was still gross, and the PAID. I made them pay. I mean, I would wash my hand BEFORE taking a ****.

"Most toner carts use an optical method of determining toner use."

That seems harder to implement than in an inkjet.

"Also used are simply counting pages and declaring the toner out after some number of pages."

That is more profitable, so let's ponder just what a wonderful and benevolent company like HP would do... ... ... Done.

"I vaguely recall that there's a setting to ignore toner out indicator or something similar, that will let you run the carts until they are really out. "

I says to buy cyan toner, it also says override in use. The two concerns are if it gets really out completely, will it stop completely ? When I unplugged the thing it wouldn't even scan so of course I cursed HP. (I worked on a couple of their scopes and they are as bad as Tek but without the good) apparently that was a different issue because now it works. It has been sitting for quite some time.

Will operating it completely out of cyan toner damage it in any way ? I don't see how but this is not my field of expertise. (to say the least) If it can tell which toners get used and I only print black and white, it should work forever right ? If so I can actually ignore the nag.

If that is the case I won't tamper with it at all. If it does run out, which I will see by the prints it makes, then I'll deal with it. That might be the best way to go.

Let me know if you want those gears and things. i cna gather up all the pieces parts and take some pictures. I might still have the whole side assembly with the gear train, but that might not fit a unit that is not all in one.. I don't know. Just let me know.