Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bitrex Bitrex is offline

Default Ham Radio license

On 04/05/2018 12:59 AM, wrote:
"If you're a foreign operator who wants to be licensed to operate in the US then clearly a US SSN is not a requirement,"

Actually it might just work to not claim US citizenship, but there may be other ramifications.

The reason I do not recommend it is that the process by which you gain certain legal status which includes that of a non-taxpayer is based on accusing them of fraud in a way, and the fact that they cannot answer the charge is one of the key points.

Part of that is that whatever you have done and signed into thus far was because you were unaware of this fraud. To even hint at it now may well preclude your ever being able to complete the process because at a latter date they can claim that you knew and have volunteered since. That voids the whole thing.

And people who value privacy are not the type to burn such a bridge, so I recommend just giving them the number. Don't even use TDC. (TDC means threat, duress, coercion) That is more aptly used when forced to sign something or else suffer some consequence, like not getting a driver's license or something like that, but the OP does not intend to refuse to sign and agree to be bound by the associated regulations, he wants to omit a piece of information.

This is tricky, I don't claim to know all about it but I know enough for example to pull it off myself. But others have different situations and may require a different approach.

The people I learn about this from had hired an ex-Harvard law professor top tutor them, and he could never have given that information out in his capacity as an active member of the bar. Once retired it is a different story.

I thought about getting a ham license at one point and even as a US
citizen it all just seemed like a huge hassle for not much reward. If
I'd been born in the 50s or 60s I probably would've gotten into it, but
I was born in the dying days of disco instead.

Instead of buying a secondhand shortwave radio I bought a secondhand
2400 bps modem. Mom and Dad humored me but thought this whole "computers
talking to each other" thing was just a weird fad, like CB radio. Oh well...