Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Battery leakage cleanup

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 1:18:52 PM UTC-7, M.Joshi wrote:

I have seen some videos that reccommend using white vinegar to clean the
dried battery electrolyte.

Is there a better cleaner to use?

Copper and lead make acetates, which means the vinegar will slightly
etch them; if you use vinegar, clean and rinse well afterward. Inspect
the copper carefully, printed circuit copper is thin to begin with.

Vinegar is a neutralizer for alkaline battery leakage (and NiCd, NiMH). Not
a great idea for acid chemistries (like gel cells or LeClanche carbon/zinc).
Soapy water, rinse, finish with isopropanol is my usual cleanup regimen.