Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Battery leakage cleanup

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 1:58:52 PM UTC-4, M.Joshi wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to repair a meter that has had a couple of AA batteries leak.
I've noticed that the leaking electrolyte from the battery over-time
has found its way to the power input solder wire connections on the PCB.

Could the electrolyte migrate via the wires from the battery terminals
to the PCB connections? The wires are fairly long.

--
M.Joshi

Yes, it will. Leaking electrolyte will propagate along any current path as long as it remains active. Further, some electrolytes are volatile under certain conditions, so they can migrate as a vapor.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA