View Single Post
  #21   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Harman Kardon Citation 17 Pre-Amp One Channel Intermittent

On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 10:40:02 AM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 6:24:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 5:18:16 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:

Is the relay really $80 or were you exaggerating? If it is, replace it with *anything* else that will fit. If you don't have something, I just might.

$79.95, no kidding, but including shipping.

a) There is an "anything else" in there now.

Yes, but I'm sure you could implement another "anything else" solution and have it look fine, work properly, and last indefinitely (elephant-snot glue notwithstanding).

b) I get a tested and warranted OEM part from the OEM maker. The warranty includes labor should it be necessary - 10 year.

A relay should last 50 years IMO. And while that warranty is impressive, I can't imagine how much trouble it would be to get them to cough up labor costs to replace it. Do they go on your word? Do you have to ship the relay to HK?

c) Made with "Matched Reeds" per the OEM spec.

Unless I was building a harmonium, I wouldn't worry about matched reeds....[rimshot] I refuse to believe that someone (anyone) could hear an audible difference between audio switched through an $80 matched reed relay and a $5 reed relay from Digi.

Just ship the board to Computer Components. HK is pretty much out of the legacy repair business. CC was their OEM supplier many years ago, and remain functioning to this day. I have to admit that is much of the appeal - how many such businesses remain viable, and how much is their viability, and the jobs they support, worth?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA