wahzoo

Default help selecting a manual transfer switch

"Toller" wrote in message ...
"Steve" wrote in message
Take a look at the Line Transfer Switches that Lowes sells.. I'd be

willing
to bet that they meet your local codes, in addition to the NEC

requirements.

I'm not sure that it is necessary to swith the nuetral but it may be a
safety requirement.. When I lived overseas I had a generator and line
transfer switch to handle the whole 200 amp load.. I didn't have to switch
nuetral..

It is necessary to switch the neutral if you have a bonded neutral/ground in
your generator. If non-bonded, you must not switch the neutral.
All the generators I have seen have been non-bonded, and all the transfer
switches have not switched the neutral; which fortunately go together.
An excellent article on it is at:
http://www.schneider-electric.ca/www...pl_Note_EN.pdf

Thanks, that link is the first humanly readable article I've seen on
the subject. This refers to the CEC, so all I have to do is verify
that the NEC is proposing the same.