Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Harman Kardon Citation 17 Pre-Amp One Channel Intermittent

"Yamaha had a whole year of amps and receivers with intermittent
source select switches in the 1990s which couldn't be repaired by
cleaning."

This was a Natural sound type with a silver front and wood case, analog tuner. Had the flat knobs for source and tape select.

The switches were the linear type operated by some sort of cam gizmo from the knob.

I remember on that unit the asked why he had to turn the volume up to like 11 oclock to get the same level as his lower powered Yamaha got at 9 oclock.. I had to explain that if they made the linkage on your car so that it was floored when you gave it half a pedal, would it go faster ? That that is a feature, a better control that gives you better control. In this country people often confuse gain with power. The have the volume at 8 oclock and don't realize that some of them were at nearly full power at that point. Extra gain is nice but they took it too far.