Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default For the person looking for a big jointer

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 3:02:11 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
It is a bit rusty but it is big

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...537971717.html

I was looking for a 16".

There was a 20" Oliver in Houston about 5-6 months ago, for about $2K. The guy said someone offered $1500. I thought about it for a few weeks, but was hesitant for one that large. I suppose I could have asked if he'd take $1700 or $1800, if I had considered buying it. There's been a time or two when I thought to call and ask if it's still available.

It's been a while since I've posted: The cypress chairs are slow going. Hand hewing the parts is a lot harder and time consuming than I bargained for, but they are getting there. Using shaving horse, draw knives, scorps and chisels on dry/salvaged wood.... despite being cypress (generally soft wood), the carving is not nearly as easy as with green wood. I have 4 chairs at about 75% complete. The fifth chair is essentially not started, yet. They are heavy, so I've been trying to shave off as much bulk wood as possible.

I don't think I'll be doing another project as this, at least not multiple pieces in one project.... lots of work. But I wanted to do a project using only hand tools. This kind of work is for younger folks. I'm liking the chairs, though. I think they'll turn out pretty good.

Sonny