Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Schwartz Terry Schwartz is offline

Default HITACHI V-353F OSCILLOSCOPE V-353-F

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 2:33:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
'I can make it act exactly like an analog scope if I want,"

Oh yeah ? let's see the dot moving across the screen at 1 second per division and demonstrate it principle to students with a battery. I want to see it. A continuous dot moving slowly across the screen. I would bet a case of beer that you can't. Even a raster scan scope can't do it as far as I have seen.

Do you have a really special one ? If not, it will blip blip blip refreshing the display and will not give you the dot moving slowly across the screen. If I am wrong, please supply me the make and model and I will reconsider and possibly retract.

One of my daily use digital scopes at work is an old Tek TDS460a, it'll scan across the screen as slow as 20 seconds/division. It's not a crude dot, it's a real digitized scan with infinite persistence. I can easily demonstrate your simple battery voltage test. It also has a 400 MHz bandwidth for doing actual useful things.

How is a moving dot superior to a captured scan that one can actually see even after the signal is gone, measure with cursors, perform math functions on, overlay onto other measurements, store as a reference for recall later, label the axis's, print out, convert to a datastream, export to a file, recreate on a PC,..... ????? This is a very old CRT digital scope, the more modern LCD scopes are even more capable.

Analog scopes had their day. That day is over. Test drive any modern digital scope and you'll never look back.

You could still drive a Model T cross country, but would you?