Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Harman Kardon Citation 17 Pre-Amp One Channel Intermittent

I have had this beast for about 10 years now, and it has developed a specific symptom - the right channel will cut out entirely - silent-same-as-no-signal on occasion. No pop, no prior acting out, no distortion. Otherwise, no issues.

On the output board is a DPST NC 24V reed relay. Meaning (to me) that when it goes into protection-mode, the relay gets energized and output is cut. The schematic (HI-FI Engine) seems to bear this out.

Picture of board here - down the page. http://members.quicknet.nl/gerard.sl...citation17.htm

There seem to be a number of versions of this relay. Additional part-numbers a 200-002-7610 and 328-46-B

Questions: Anyone else with this symptom in this device? I would hate to replace the relay only to find that something else is going on and the system is doing its job.

And, may I substitute any decent 24V DPST relay? I have lots of room to play around.

Other notes:

a) It is paired with a Citation 19 power-amp, acquired separately.
b) I have recapped the power-supply, and the output voltages are as they should be.
c) The unit dates c. 1978

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA