Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HITACHI V-353F OSCILLOSCOPE V-353-F

On 19/03/18 19:37, Mike Coon wrote:
In article , lid
says...

I think I paid £5 around 1963 for a Cossor 3339 (or maybe 339) from Z&I
Aero in Tottenham Court Road. It weighed a ton and I never did get it to
work.

Was that the one with the sloping top part of the front panel, like a
Mansard roof (or something)? I remember Z&I Aero too, though I don't
think I would have visited London much in the early 1960s, beyond
school-leaving interviews...

Not as far as I remember. Picture of 339A he
http://www.thevalvepage.com/testeq/cossor/339a/339a.htm

Manual he
http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/4869_Cossor_339_Oscillograph_Manual.pdf

Being a Londoner, I could spend quite a bit of time in Tottenham Court
Road (and Lisle Street). There were quite a few "government surplus"
shops selling WWII stuff, including some USA Tx and Rx units. I
remember buying something with acorn valves; IIRC, a BC-624 VHF Rx. This
was for 100 - 156MHz (or should I say Mc/s in old money?!). It was
bought to scrap; at the time I couldn't even find out what it needed to
operate, other than it had a socket marked "dynamotor".

Not much surplus around in the UK now, although a year or so ago I got
an ex-Vulcan Green Satin ground radar doppler unit as a Christmas
present for a Vulcan enthusiast. I wonder where it had been stored since
it was scrapped in 1984? No semiconductors, by the way - just submin
valves. No doubt better at surviving an EMP from a hydrogen bomb, but
would there be anywhere to land?

--

Jeff