Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_5_] Dr. Deb[_5_] is offline

Default number of companies still making wood lathes

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 3:00:46 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Vicmarc in Australia is still a going concern. Not sure if Woodfast is still a real Australian company or if it is now a Chinese company. It might be part of Jet/Powermatic/Rikon/HF/Grizzly now. Nova is also a separate lathe company. I think General International makes lathes. But they may be part of the Jet/Power/Rikon/HF/Woodfast/Grizzly mess too.

So my contribution is:
Vicmarc
Stubby (sort of, kind of, maybe they still exist)
Woodfast (maybe)
Nova
General International (maybe)

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 11:09:43 AM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
just as reality check

these off the top of my head

robust oneway laguna grizzly powermatic jet rikon harborfreight

would not suprise me that a few of the above could be consolidated
as they share part suppliers to varying degrees

would guess that grizzly powermatic hf jet and rikon share many parts
suppliers but not sure about robust oneway and laguna

what other makers did i miss

no particular order

http://www.turnrobust.com/
https://www.rikontools.com/category/lathes
http://www.grizzly.com/wood-lathes
https://lagunatools.com/classic-machinery/lathes/
https://oneway.ca/products-category/lathes
http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/c/la...00/?reset=true
https://www.harborfreight.com

I do not think Woodfast is still in the lathe business. Rikon sold the M910 (Rikon 70-500) but I got the last outboard turning kit they had and I do not think they were getting any more in. I have a 1998 Woodfast M910. I bought it about three years ago and love it. The only down side is that the ourboard turning threads are 1x8 Left hand. Solved that by getting my local machine shop to make me an adapter for both 1x8 and 1/ 1/4x8 to handle the various chucks and face plates I have.