Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shockproof? Really?

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 07:25:38 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Sun, 11 Mar 2018
17:03:16 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 07:40:56 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Fri, 09 Mar 2018
08:00:48 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I bought the kits eons ago, then made my own centering device.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1014/205585492
They came with brad point bits, so they don't drift so easily. Trying
to fit 2 boards together with imprecisely drilled dowel holes is like
herding cats. Jus tain't possible.

Hence the reason I had for wanting a long auger bit. The need for
through holes on two 3" inch boards.

You can buy long brad point bits. https://is.gd/6aBAEs and other
sources.

I forgot to mention dowel centers. You drill holes in one board, put
the centers in the holes, then match up the other board to it and tap
against the points, marking the second board precisely.
https://is.gd/ldqXBh

You realize this is stretching even my old memory. Ancient wood tech,
y'know? It's all biscuits and kreg now. Unless you're rich and can
afford a Festeringtool Domino, a li'l $960 kit. Want a $1,000 shop
vac? Oops, I mean "dust extractor") They have 'em.
https://www.festoolusa.com/

I worked with some Festtool sanders, seemed to be a good tool for
the intended use (finishing up imitations stone countertops.)

That they are, but the overpricing sticks in my craw. I loved their
plunge saw setup, but it would have cost me $750. The same setup I got
from Makita was $426, plus $43 an extra 55" rail and $35 for a pair of
clamps.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti