Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Isolation transformer in place of a GFCI

On 2018/03/11 8:25 PM, John Robertson wrote:
On 2018/03/11 7:41 PM, wrote:
A friend of mine has a 120volt string of lights above his swimming
pool. There is one 15 amp circuit for both the lighting and the pump
motor circuit. This circuit is not protected by a GFCI outlet. The
lights however are high enough so that no one can ever reach up and
grab them while in the pool. We have had discussions about installing
a GFCI on the pool circuit but as of the end of last Summer's swimming
season it had not been done. One day last Summer I observed his kids
in the pool shooting water blaster pistols in the air. Alarmed I
quickly killed power to the lights. Naturally my concern was that
someone in the pool shooting water up at the lights could be
electrocuted. This brought about an interesting hypothetical
discussion. What if the pool lighting circuit were connected through
an isolation transformer. In theory then you should be able to grab
each side of the secondary without being shocked right? I can't see
how the motor could fail and become a shock hazard so I was more
concerned about the lights.

If you grabbed each side of the secondary you would receive a
100/115/120/220/240VAC shock (depending on where you live on Earth). If
somehow one side of the secondary connected to earth ground then you
would back to the same risk of electrical shock. Your decision to run
GFCI is correct IMHO.

In any event I'm going to install a GFCI on his pool circuit for him
before the start of swimming season which will be coming up in a
couple of months.. Thanks, Lenny

Best decision.

John :-#)#

Further to this, one can purchase GFCI plugs that replace the original
power cord plug and provide the same safety aspects as a GFCI outlet or
circuit breaker. The advantage is you can add that to the power cord
quickly...

https://store.leviton.com/collection...nt=18216174467

Do get one that is not counterfeit - Amazon/eBay are not reliable
sources as the dealers there are completely unregulated and will sell
you fakes as easily as real items. Go to a bricks and mortar shop if you
want proper electrical safety.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com