Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Name this knob

On Sunday, 4 March 2018 18:29:23 UTC, wrote:

Oh, I dunno - anyone smitten with a system based on the width of the (Roman) emperor's thumb some several thousand years ago deserves pity.

All and at the same time, the last time I saw Merle in concert (as an opener for Leo Kottke of all things!) he was a tired old man with neither vinegar nor **** remaining, and not much of his voice. It was a small room, and entirely unamplified.

So, think on it! This AMERICAN is advocating:
Arabic numerals.
Roman letters.
An emperor's thumb.

Not very bright.

Those who do not remember the paste are condemned to repeat it.
-George Santayana

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Measurement units are all arbitrary. One upside of imperial is the units are divisible by several whole numbers, making mental mathematics easier some of the time. To call them 'not very bright' is just not very bright.

The modern world contains no end of both unit systems in use, thus the sensible practical person familiarises themselves with both systems. (Which explains why our UK schools only teach one system.)

NT