Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shockproof? Really?

On 3/2/2018 6:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial.Â* Exactly what shock are they proof
against?Â* Certainly not being dropped.

I pulled my two Mitutoyo calipers out of the box and looked at them this
morning. The older metric one does not say shockproof on it, but the
new one my wife got me for my birthday in January does. Doesn't mean I
am not going to put it back in its case in the drawer every single time
I am done using it. LOL.

I think I am going to make a trip over to Harbor Freight and buy a half
dozen of their 20 dollar NTMT dial calipers to leave laying around the
shop for guessing with.

NTMT (Never The Same Measurement Twice)