Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Name this knob

Lemme see:

The Metric system was "invented" in 1670, in France. This was well before Communism, at that point "Protestantism" was a dirty word in many sectors.

The US auto industry has largely adopted the Metric system so as to compete world-wide, and to standardize parts.

Pretty much anyone with even half-a-brain that has done much of anything with tools over the last 40 years will be fluent in both currencies. Some years ago, I was working as a machinist making parts for GE for their engines. About half the shop used metric tools (shaft diameters, fasteners) and half the shop was using SAE standards (flange widths and thicknesses, fastener spacing). See, we were selling parts to European and Japanese GE license holders, as well as sub-assembly consolidators.

As to KM vs. Miles - sheesh! I have driven in 8 countries on three continents. Only one uses MPH. One is courteous enough to put up the signs in both in many locations (Saudi), and one does so on main highways (Both of them - Bahrain). It is _REALLY_ hard to remember that 62.5 MPH = 100 KPH, and that 75 MPH = 120 KPH. And so on and so forth.

And, are you offended to know that we are using Old Arabic Numerals for our numbers, and Italian (Latin) letters? And it was the Arabs that gave us the 0 (zero), allowing modern calculations?

When it comes to the terms & tools used for the communication of mathematics and language, we AMERICANS have not contributed much at all. Be glad that you are not British, as you would have to contend with the Whitworth standard in addition. That would likely cause your brain to explode.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA