Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Name this knob

wrote:

---------------------------

I have an electric guitar. It has a 4 position switch that selects which
of the three pickups, or all of them. There is a piece of metal that
sticks up, which is supposed to have a knob on it. Knob was missing.
Besides appearance, that metal shaft is sharp and dont feel good on the
hand.

But this is not your typical round shaft, it's a flat piece of metal
about 1/4" wide and 1/32 inch thick. So the knob will have a slit in it.
The guitar is a Silvertone from probably the 1970s, so I wont likely
find an original knob. But I am not all that picky about getting an
original, as long as I can get something that fits.

** Guitars are often fitted with multi-way LEVER switches, like the one you describe.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yibu...752649710.html

May have 3,4 or 5 ways depending on the number of PUs while some use 2-way toggles - often with a centre, double ON position that caters for 2 PUs.
Lever types are quicker for the player to use than a rotary switch and the position easily identified by finger tips alone.

The push-fit knob is similar to ones used with slider controls, particularly those fitted closely spaced on graphic equalisers.

Making a small, grub screw knob secure by packing the gaps as another suggests sounds good if you don't mind putting in the time.

IME, repairing broken & bent shaft pots on guitar amps is part of a great many jobs. Sometimes 1980s Marshalls turn up with the whole lot visibly damaged.

Then there are the 2000 series where the flimsy plastic pots look OK but work intermittently.....

..... Phil