Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony SLV-780 Resurrecting The Beast

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 10:21:04 PM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 2/27/18 8:45 PM, jurb wrote:
I also have a turntable that plays 78s. A Dual 1216, a
decent quality one. I bet you would have to go at least
a mile to find another one who can play a 78.

Easy enough, I got a Technics SL-2000 all it took was a
simple change to the direct drive feed back. Instant 78
RPM, then a Shure M78 cartridge.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Of course your average Joe can't do that. I looked at the print and it doesn't look like it's quartz locked. But then that is not required. Looks like a resistor change and you were in business.

With cartridges like that I like to get another headshell. It is much easier to change. Also, I see it uses the screwing in and out counterweight method of applying stylus pressure. That means you can weight the headshell to get the proper 78 tracking force, which I believe is higher. The anti skate probably isn't calibrated for this anyway, and it might not even need adjusting. I assume you wired it for mono right there to nip some of those ticks and pops in the bud.

I can't really weight the headshell in the Dual because the tonearm is totally statically balanced and the stylus pressure is applied by a calibrated spring. Sure I could do it but lose that balance. Probably not a big thing but it is cool that when setup properly it will play up on its side. It would play upside down except for minor details, like the record falling off. And I have seen alot of them without the E ring or whatever holds the platter on.

What you did, it will wear out the motor faster, but not bad. It will probably have to work a bit harder but only during startup.

Pretty cool anyway, still not many people can play 78s.

Have you heard about them picking up the material on 78s optically with a LASER ? When I read about that I thought it would be a waste.