Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default how can I filter noise I get laptop audio out from car inverter?

Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 23-2-2018 16:22, JBI wrote:
I am using a standard 400 W 12 VDC to 120 VAC inverter to power my
laptop in the car. While this works well, lately I've started doing
audio work with the laptop and feeding the laptop 1/8" audio jack output
into an amp hooked into the car radio. While the laptop is plugged into
the inverter, I get much noise over the audio system. I know the noise
is coming from the inverter, so how would I negate it? I've tried about
5 snap closed ferrite cores around the power cable going into the laptop
but they haven't helped. Thanks.

A differential amp, to get rid of a ground loop.

Or feed both devices from the same minus 12v point.

Or both.

I don't know the problem, but a transformer isolator may help or work.

Greg