Posted to alt.home.repair
ultred ragnusen ultred ragnusen is offline

Default What mostly makes a small engine "wheeze" fast & slow, fast & slow, fast & slow?

wrote:

The 10 hp Honda, on my generator acted-up once -
after about 6 months of inactivity. I didn't need any
extra additives - but a good test run with fresh gas
cleaned it up. I test it every 3 or 4 months now and
always use stabilizer.

For decades, I've been leaving the gas in engines, but these motors are
wheezing, fast and slow, and fast and slow, so I'm just asking to figure it
out.

As for "stabilizer", it seems like a worthless endeavor since it costs
almnost nothing for a gallon of gas versus what it must cost to buy and
stock stabilizer. Why bother? If stabilizing was my issue, I'd just dump
out the gas and use it for cleaning label goop off of kitchen jars.

I'm not against stabilizer - I just don't see the value since it has to
cost an appreciable portion of the gallon of gas price.

Is the reason for the stabilizer because you want LIQUID in the engine's
gas tank?

Otherwise, why not just dump the gas out to use as a cleaner?
(I guess a key question is how much does a gallon's worth of stabilizer
cost with respect to the $4 it costs for a gallon of gasoline?)