Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Playing a flashdrive thorugh a car radio.

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:17:06 +0000, Andy Burns

Wait, did you mean the stick as the gizmo or the player in the car as
the gizmo ? I assumed the stick as the gizmo so take my statement
accordingly.

From previous descriptions (here or elsewhere) the gizmo is a 3rd party
device, the USB memory stick loaded with MP3s is plugged into the gizmo,
gizmo is plugged into the car's cigar lighter and the gizmo acts like an
iTrip broadcasting FM which the car's radio receives.

I suppose the gizmo could store the position on the stick rather than
internally, but AFAIK there's no standard for this. My car has a
built-in SD card reader rather than needing a gizmo, I don't think it
ever writes to the SD card.

You can copy your music to a SD card using almost any computer. If your
computer dont have a SD card slot, just buy a USB plug in SD card
reader, which sell for around $10 at places like Walmart. (Or check
ebay). They are made to view and copy your camera photos to a computer,
but you can write to them, make folders and so on, just like you do on a
flash drive. Actually, once they are plugged into one of those adaptors,
you essentially have a flash drive. A 32gb SD card can store thousands
of MP3 files. One card can likely store your whole music collection.

Then you just plug that SDcard into your car's sound system if it has
that option.

Those MP3 players that transmit a FM signal to a car radio, are not the
greatest. At least not the ones I have tried. Poor reception and poor
sound quality. They work best when they are in clear view of your car's
antenna (usually on the dash).