Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] staufr1@gmail.com is offline

Default Sony ICF-SW7600 portable radio -- all static

C126 is double layer capacitor that keeps memory channels for near 30 minutes. It is primarily just backup while you change batteries.

On Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 11:24:27 AM UTC-5, N_Cook wrote:
RJO wrote in message
I've had a great Sony SW7600 portable shortwave/AM/FM radio for years
and it has worked very well. It's probably been on for more than ten
thousand hours overall. This is the model:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...icfsw7600.html

A few months ago it started giving only loud static when turned on,
even when tuned to a standard station. If I left it on for an hour or
two it would usually snap back to normal operation and the station
would come in clear again. But now it's gotten to the point that it
never comes back: only loud static when turned on, and for all the
time it is left on. You can faintly detect the signal in the
background in most cases, but it's drowned out by the static. (These
are strong stations I've listened to for a long time; something
changed in the radio, not the environment.)

My mechanical intuition tells me the problem is simple, but I know
nothing about electronics. Is anyone familiar with these old workhorse
portables? If the repair is more complex than whacking it with a
hammer I probably couldn't do it myself, but perhaps it would be worth
sending it out for repair? Or should I toss it in the wastebasket?
Sell it for parts on eBay?

Many thanks.

Bob

What voltage source keeps the stations in memory ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm