Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tips to Remove Alkaline Battery Contact Corrosion?

On Monday, 19 February 2018 18:45:27 UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 09:25:30 -0800 (PST), KenO
wrote:

Agree have never had problems with either NiCd or NiMH.

I beg to differ. I have had NiCd and NiMH cells leak. The difference
is that unlike alkaline, they don't leak in the package:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Kirkland-AAA-leak.jpg
I've found from dealing with commercial walkie-talkie batteries, that
if I leave the packs totally discharged for more than a few weeks, the
batteries will leak. The good news is that this rarely happens.

I've had several NiCds & NiMHs leak, but way less often and far less quantity than primary cells. Usually there's no significant damage to the battery holder.

NT