Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default reflowing BGA with a hot air gun?

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:04:33 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

Once upon a time on usenet Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 17:37:25 -0800, wrote:

Thanks for the advice Jeff. And the link. I did take this machine
apart once about 5 years ago to replace the hard drive. That all went
fine.

That's a start. However, to reflow the BGA chips on the motherboard,
you'll need to remove the motherboard from the plastic case. I take
photos as dive into the machine. Seems to impress (or panic) the
customer. For example:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/HP%20Envy%20m6%20clogged%20fan/slides/HP%20Envy%20m6%20A10%20CPU.html

Photo of the above heat pipe radiator AFTER I blew compressed air into
the area from the outside. The only way to get the crud out is to
tear it apart.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/HP%20Envy%20m6%20clogged%20fan/slides/clogged_fan.html

Also, this one way it could be easily cleaned:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/Dell%20Inspiron%201525/index.html
The bottom cover comes off exposing the entire heat pipe assembly,
which is then easily cleaned. Too bad Dell (or Foxcom) designed it
into a crappy machine (Inspiron 1525) with miserable BGA soldering.

More later. Gotta run.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558