Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Asterisk and FreePBX

Fox's Mercantile wrote:

On 2/14/18 2:44 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Anyone here running the Asterisk BX with the FreePBX GUI?

I don't know what BX is (Business Exchange??)

It's a typo because I make mistakes. ;-) I meant PBX.

I mostly guessed that.

Wow, the setup was BRUTAL, there's a LOT you have to figure
out the hard way.

The FreePBX forums are almost as brutal.

So, what did you want to know?

I want to replace my Panasonic 6x16 hybrid system.
Two copper lines from the phone company and a third line from a
Magic Jack. 16 analog extensions and a door phone.

OK, that's about what I did. I had a NEC system from the '80s, and the damn
thing just kept chuggung along. But, finally, it croaked, and I was already
partly set up with Asterisk and some phone extensions. So, suddenly, I
needed to get the Asterisk system up and running.
I'm using the TDM2400P 24-port analog card. Four FXO inputs and
twenty FXS outputs. I managed to get the "internal" extensions
and the door phone, a Bogen ADP1, to work.

I'd skip the FXS ports, and just get VOIP stations. I got a bunch of Snom
300 basic phone extensions for $5 each on eBay! Some don't have PoE, so you
want to be sure to get the ones with that feature. I got a cheap 48V PoE
switch and ran cables where the phones would be, in a lot of places using
the old quad wire from the NEC to pull the Cat 5 cable in. I already had
the Cat 5 crimping tool from TP Ethernet work.
The door phone was a lot of laughs on the FreePBX forum.
"RTFM" and my favorite "Read the FreePBX Wiki."
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Door+Phones
Very useful.

Umm, yes, the whole purpose of FreePBX seems to be to sell Sangoma phones
and hosting. If you are not using Sangoma products, the support is a bit
less helpful.
The problem I'm having is I can't dial out or receive incoming
calls.

Ouch, that is a fairly serious non-functioning situation. It seems rather
FEW people are using the analog stuff. I got the FXO cards working, but am
still not real happy with the echo cancellation on my real telco POTS line.
The copper line that is 20 feet long to my cable-VOIP modem is great,
however, sounds like a recording studio.

I know nothing about FXS ports. But, for sure, you want to get a VOIP
extension up, then you can try debugging one side of the analog at a time.
You can actually use any computer with a headset to run VOIP software.

The DAHDI setup for the FXO lines was not just plug and play, but it wasn't
too bad. Then, there were all the connection rule files for dialing and
routing incoming calls. I'm sorry, I went through this about 18 months ago,
and have started forgetting some of the details. The system has just been
running for some time and is just like an appliance, now. The event logging
is really helpful when things are not going right, they give a LOT of info
on the steps happening when you try to dial out or a call comes in. If you
haven't looked there, that's where you should start.

Oh, and there are a FEW things that cannot be done in the FreePBX GUI system
-- now, of course, I am not remembering what they were.

Jon