Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Itentifying wood by smell

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:07:21 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Electric Comet on Mon, 12 Feb 2018
14:10:06 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 17:14:51 -0800
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and
some rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.

smell helps but the grain and density is a big help too

some are treated with pesticidals
some are toxic and some are not

mostly see oak and fir but have seen maple
no doubt they source locally suitable wood too but i have not seen
other than those

I have some mahogany boards salvaged off a shipping crate.

My father had a bunch of black walnut and mahogany he salvaged out of
WWII military equipment (a long time go ;-).