Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Itentifying wood by smell

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 18:41:14 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 8:06:15 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:56:04 -0600 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:

The efficacy of reusing pallets or pallet wood is certainly a valid
issue... I've only recycled them into kindling or used them on the floor
of my lumber shed as any other use would be too great of a time
waster... especially with the access I've had to rough cut over the
years. Now that I have an Alaskan chainsaw mill even more opportunities
present themselves. For example, while removing beaver killed trees from
a rail trail last fall I picked up 8 cherry logs. I milled four of them
in my back yard over the past couple weekends... My lumber shed is
overflowing and I am looking into ways to store and dry more wood... I
guarantee you none of it will be pallet wood! LOL

Yeah, those pallets we ended up with, we receive more than we shipped
out, we had to pay to get rid of them. So I kept the oak ones to one
side and only one time tried to dismantle it. The rest saw my recip saw
and the fireplace.

If you want a four inch wide by 12 inch or so board, they're
perfect. Especially for small boxes.

Sure, boxes that smell like vinegar. ;-)

With a tight enough fit, you can use them to store vinegar.

--
pyotr filipivich