Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Itentifying wood by smell

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar
to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when
being cut.
Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine,
probably more if I think about it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)