Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Itentifying wood by smell

Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some
rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them.
Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know,
when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar to
that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw
blade.)
This is more for my Fund of General Knowledge than a necessity.
I've used "pallet board" like this before to make so rather fine
(IMOSHO) small wooden boxes and the like.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Just because they're invisible doesn't mean they are your friends.