Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Graham Graham is offline

Default blount vega oliver and more

On 2018-02-10 10:12 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 4:50:11 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:

I agree! My new lathe is a Nova Galaxi and although much more expensive
than the 160, is far more versatile.
However, I know some top-class turners still using the 260, which is a
bigger version of the 160 and used to grace the workshops of
internationally known turners until the likes of Oneway and Robust came
along.
Graham

The General 160 and 260 lathes are fine, fine lathes. Just like the now non existent Powermatic 90 and Delta made one similar too. 3 HP with variable speed I think. Or maybe it was pulleys, not sure. All fine 12" or 24" diameter lathes with 36" between centers. Pretty much identical to Oneway lathes today except Oneway is welded steel and not cast iron. All fine and good. But lathes have improved over the years. Sliding head stocks are far superior to the old time fixed head lathes. You get a short and long bed lathe in one. And you do not have to bend your body in half over the bed to hollow out a bowl. Pain.

Although my Nova Galaxi has a sliding and swivelling headstock, I still
adopt the old "fixed headstock" position from force of habit:-)
I now have a Hope System hollower with both laser and TV attachments and
for deep hollow turning, a speciality of mine, the headstock has to be
in the "fixed" position.
https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/jig-s/...ra-system?c=17

Graham