Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Shot&Beer@example.com is offline

Default Doorbell randomly rings

On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 21:42:55 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 2/4/18 8:14 PM, Rebecca Blaha wrote:
Ok doorbell started randomly ringing every so often and chime box buzzes
and
hums off and on (old house regular wired doorbell) so I figured the
button was
bad..,I went out and disconnected the button to make it stop until I can
purchase a new one and replace it only to find that it is still randomly
ringing and buzzing even with the doorbell disconnected please HELP now
I have
no idea what is causing it or how to fix it

Shut the power off first, of course. Disconnect the wires
between the chime
and the button. It might be a short in that wiring. See what happens.

I had that happen on a door frame with aluminum trim, and the old cloth
coated wires. The insulation was frayed where the wires exited the door
frame behind the button and was touching the aluminum trim.

If you suspect this be the case, slide some heat shrink tubing over the
wires in that location. You dont need to heat the part inside the wall,
just heat the part sticking out of the frame with a hair dryer or heat
gun.

There could also be a defect in the bell itself. But disconnect the
wires that go to the door buttons first.

You did not mention if there is a button by TWO doors. If there is,
check that other button too.

Doorbell wiring is not difficult or complicated, and the parts are not
expensive. Replacing all the parts could be the quickest fix. (The
transformer is probably ok, or it would not ring at all).