Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 11:51:08 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I've been trying to buy four refrigerator/freezer thermometers and it's
frustrating how inaccurate/inconsistent they are.

For Instance:

- 4 thermometers of same make/model, hanging on the same rack.

- Alcohol bulb/glass tube - you'd think basic physics...

- Each reads a different temp from 68 to 74 degrees.

Only thing I can think of is that the card behind the glass thingie is
misaligned, but looking at these things, there does not seem to be enough
physical room for those kinds of errors.

Also, at home I have a couple of digital indoor/outdoor thermometers.

Bring the outdoor sensor inside and put it right next to the master part, and
they're a couple degrees different.

Is there any hope at all of finding four thermometers which:

- All read the same temp when placed side-by-side
- Read the correct temp.

What am I missing?

Spending enough money to get one that has a little quality control in
the manufacturing phase?
My Bacharach sling always shows to be the same as the lab grade
thermometer we use to calibrate the instruments we use for state water
samples but they cost $80+
Digital stuff itself is what I call the great lie. They give you a
very precise reading, that is usually wrong. I have an $8000 (MSRP)
digital water tester from the state that we have to calibrate before
and after every use and about 10-15% of the time, they do not pass the
verification calibration after the test on at least one parameter.