Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the shelf life of common adhesives?

Let's cut to the chase:

a) Shelf-Life is not uniform. Factors such as heat, humidity, temperature cycling, even altitude and more must be included in the process.
b) The nature of the adhesives are factor.
c) That some components will separate into separate ingredients depending on temperature is a factor.
d) That some cures are catalytic is a factor - and that once started, will continue until complete.
e) That some cures require exterior stimulus is a factor.
f) And some low-end epoxies will crystallize, one part especially, even when fresh with a single exposure to low temperatures.

During the summer, my hobby room will undergo pretty wild temperature swings. It has windows on three walls, the center of which faces south. That is a factor.

I use some slightly exotic cyanoacrylates. They do not like temp.cycling and last about a week when after opening - and I do refrigerate them for that reason. They will last about 90 days (refrigerated) if not opened, and are dated as such. These I purchase when I am about to begin a project, not before.

It depends on many things:

Storage
Use factors
Specific needs

If I am fixing something as basic as a Bakelite knob for a radio, pretty much any run-of-the-mill super-glue will do the trick. If I am setting the ballast-release on a $3,500 submarine, not so much.

What is on the label, you can be pretty assured, is what the manufacturer is willing to support against unknown users with unknown habits and unknown storage conditions. Nor will they guarantee the workpiece against failure, just the cost of a tube of glue.

Let yourself be the judge, and take risks against aged product and potential failure on your own.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA