Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default What is the shelf life of common adhesives?

On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 5:27:23 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I've been in the repair biz for too long. I can tell because some of
the adhesives in my disorganized collection are at least 10 years old....

So, in your experience, what are the approximate shelf lives

RTV sealant

Circa 5 years, and it's generally water-catalyzed, so a paint can
sealed tightly, with some CaSO4 dessicant, can keep it fresh for an
extra year or two, even if the cap is gone. I did this for a tube that split open,
it stayed fresh for months.

Super Glue (cyanoacrylate)
Super Glue Gel

Those are best kept in a refrigerator. I've got a little wood-block with blind
holes in the top as a stand, so the tiny tubes can sit upright (and to hold a leak).
Unopened, I dunno how long.

Elmer's white glue
Elmer's wood glue

Very sensitive to cold, do NOT let it freeze. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure a useful
bond can be made from 20-year-old (but it may need water added). It's inexpensive,
for a big project just buy fresh glue.