Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Harold Newton Harold Newton is offline

Default What is the shelf life of common adhesives?

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 17:27:13 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
So, in your experience, what are the approximate shelf lives of these
common adhesives?
RTV sealant

REF: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.electronics.repair/t5xXvDn_T-U

I have ten year old unopened Toyota FIPG (aka RTV) that I "hope" to use for
a valve cover gasket. I "hope" it's still good.

I do know that the tube of Home Depot gray-putty-like two-part
"tootsie-roll" epoxy (with the cream in the middle) does NOT last more than
about 5 years (ask me how I know).

The epoxy still works, but once opened, and half used, the rest dries out
easily (I didn't re-wrap it though).

Likewise with "opened" cyanoacrylate ... I buy the *smallest* tubes I can
find, because, to me, they're single-use only. They may last a few weeks
once opened, maybe even a few months ... but not more than that.

The bigger bottles get runny ... like water ... and never stick, in my
experience.