View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default What is the shelf life of common adhesives?

Jeff, you ARE the authority on most everything, so I probably should bow to your expertise. (But I won't) After all, you have been in the repair biz too long.

Re-read Phils post -- he did not mention refrigeration "not working". He said the replacement tubes were "so old".

Double unstated? What does that even mean? Obviously if it's unstated, even 1 day is potentially double that.

YES I've had success refrigerating adhesives and silicones. Cold always slows chemical reactions, it's basic chemistry. I've had sealed tubes of caulk last 5 years in my garage fridge. Please be cautious about accusing me of "contriving" anything.

I also refrigerate batteries, and I've got some Panasonic industrial C cells that are still at full cell voltage after more than 10 years.

So you did find something regarding shelf life? Or not? Which is it?

Unopened tubes of adhesive, if well manufactured and packaged, seem to last a long time. I've had silicones and cyanoacrylates last for many years. I have limited experience with epoxies, but one tube of plastic-specific epoxy has lasted at least two years -- even after being opened.

I almost always seem to be able to find a manufacture date on the tube, either printed or on a crimp. Not so much on the tiny drugstore "superglue" packages. Reputable manufacturers commonly publish a short number for shelf life, (sometimes you have to actually ask for it) as you saw, 12 months, but in reality, that is a CYA number so that the consumer will 1) not be disappointed when his 2 year past date product goes bad, and 2) feel the need to buy another tube and when the stuff only *might* be bad. Helps revenue.

I've found 3+ year old product on the shelves in the orange big box home stores. Caveat Emptor. Their warehouses do not have a FIFO system, and are not climate controlled.

I appreciate your comments, but it would be more helpful if you
provided your experience with adhesive shelf life and lifetimes rather
than guessing what it might be under contrived circumstances.