Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the shelf life of common adhesives?

Terry Schwartz wrote:

I'd bet the manufacturers web sites would have information on shelf
life. Double what they claim, and you'll have a more realistic number.

** Double ??

Refrigeration extends the working life of most adhesives.

** A local supermarket store was offering a nice discount on 100gm tubes of famous brand silicone adhesive, the "neutral cure" type that is useful in electronics.

I bought two tubes and soon found they had been filled with "acid cure " material - no use at all as the acetic acid vapour corrodes any copper it gets near.

The warehouse asked me to send them the bad tubes for appraisal and shortly afterwards a parcel arrived with 12 tubes of the correct "neutral cure" type.

Unfortunately, most of the 12 tubes had gone rock hard they were so old.

..... Phil