Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
[email protected] dold@24.usenet.us.com is offline

Default Could a T-Mobile repeater & femtocell be moved to a new location outside the Santa Cruz mountains?

In alt.internet.wireless Harold Newton wrote:
The Repeater "probably" does not report back to the cellular provider
anything as it's likely just a "bridge" of sorts that just passes the MAC
address (among other things) straight through.

I found repeaters to be useless junk for weak signal areas. I think they
would be fine for repeating a signal through a steel walled building or
something of that sort.

The Femtocell is *completely* different.

I had an AT&T Femtocell... still do. But I don't have an AT&T account, so
I can't test it in my current location. Wonderful thing.

I noticed that Kaiser Hospital has Verizon Femtocell. You can see them in
the hallways, and a little house icon appears above the full-bar cellular
icon on my phone.

They know *everything* about the Femtocell; so it's interesting you were
able to move it. Perhaps the IP geolocation isn't great enough, in your
test, to flag their "movement" algorithm.

"Everything"? How do they know Everything?
I disagree with Jeff L occasionally, but, he's never wrong.
As I recall, my AT&T Femtocell did have a GPS, and setup advice included
positioning it near a window if it didn't activate correctly.

I didn't have a problem activating it, so I don't know if it needs GPS
after a power failure, or IP change, etc.

--
Clarence A Dold - Santa Rosa, CA, USA GPS: 38.47,-122.65