Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Harold Newton Harold Newton is offline

Default Could a T-Mobile repeater & femtocell be moved to a new location outside the Santa Cruz mountains?

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:46:53 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Q: How would T-Mobile *know* if I *moved* the femtocell and/or repeater to
a different location altogether than my own house?

You do the grunt work this time. Dig into the instructions for the
Femtocell box and see if it has a GPS inside. If it's not clear, grab
the FCCID and look it up on the FCCID site. If it has a GPS, T-Mobile
will know where you're located. Whether they do anything about a
change in location is unknown. I've moved a Verizon femtocell box
about 50 miles without any problems. However, that was inside Verizon
territory. If you move your T-Mobile femtocell to some location where
T-Mobile doesn't claim to have service, I have not idea if they will
thank you for improving their footprint, disconnect your service, or
something in between. Good luck.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for that input.

It's not a big deal because I was answering the question for "The Real
Bev", where I'm pretty sure (but not positive) the answer is thus.

1. Repater
2. Femtocell

The Repeater "probably" does not report back to the cellular provider
anything as it's likely just a "bridge" of sorts that just passes the MAC
address (among other things) straight through.

In that case, the cellular provider probably can't tell that you moved the
repeater because it likely doesn't even know that the repeater is involved.

The Femtocell is *completely* different.

They know *everything* about the Femtocell; so it's interesting you were
able to move it. Perhaps the IP geolocation isn't great enough, in your
test, to flag their "movement" algorithm.

Thanks!