Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Taper of Potentiometers

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 05:48:52 -0800 (PST), Terry Schwartz
wrote:

2) The log taper provides what is essentially a "dead band" at the low end of
the pot, therefore accommodating the installation of an on/off switch on the
back of the pot, without sacrificing low level volume control. The switch often
requires a 15 or 20 degree rotation in order to activate -- using up part of the
pot travel.

This is something I never even thought about, but it makes a lot of
sense. I recall buying replacment pots for old tube gear, some 45 or
more years ago, and you bought them without a switch, and bought the
switch separately, which then attached to the rear of the pot.
Apparently those pots were made to be used with a switch, but also
worked without one. I never noticed any "dead spots" on them, or had
problems where I could not turn the volume down low enough. Apparently
that was all taken into consideration when they were made. But back
then, it was a lot simpler. You chose audio and linear taper, and the
correct resistance, and shaft length. That was about it. I recall
getting many with LONG shafts that had to be sawed off and a flat spot
filed onto the shaft.

The good thing back then is that the shafts were all metal and did not
break off.