Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Schwartz Terry Schwartz is offline

Default Taper of Potentiometers

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 10:59:48 AM UTC-6, Terry Schwartz wrote:
Yes -- I imagine that is true, hence the need for finer control at lower volume levels.

Terry

Actually, I think the ear responds in an anti-log fashion. Small changes in audio source output levels are perceived as large changes at lower volume levels. Not so much at higher levels, where the ear essentially "saturates" and cant tell the difference between 90dB and 100dB (numbers pulled out of nowhere as examples) So the log curve on the pot compensates for this.