Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Harold Newton Harold Newton is offline

Default Could a T-Mobile repeater & femtocell be moved to a new location outside the Santa Cruz mountains?

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 14:35:25 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

The question came up in another discussion by "The Real Bev" whether the
repeater or femtocell can "realistically" be "moved" to a second or third
location.
https://u.cubeupload.com/RLxLv5.jpg

For me, that question is moot: "T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot is available to
current postpaid and simple choice customers. Prepaid customers cannot
currently request a 4G LTE CellSpot." I assume this is the repeater.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24269

Supposedly there's a deposit, and you have to return the thing when you
cancel service.

Yes, there is "supposedly" a deposit, just like there is a SIM card fee of
something like $15, but T-Mobile has *never* charged me either, and I get a
*lot* of SIM cards from them, and two of these "cell spot" devices.

BTW, from a branding perspective, "Cell Spot" is sort of like "iPhone".
They use that "cell spot" name for *different* things.

Both of my devices are *called* a "personal cellspot:, but they're
different.
https://u.cubeupload.com/RU3rGl.jpg

One is a repeater.
The other is a femtotower.

Both make an astoundingly huge difference in signal strength!
https://u.cubeupload.com/RUsTGy.jpg

I assume this is the repeater.
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24269

No. That's the free femtocell that plugs into your router.

The "repeater" is the two-piece unit called "4G LET Signal Booster":
https://u.cubeupload.com/sSOph0.jpg

You see two of them in that photo because I complained to T-Mobile about it
not working and they sent me a new one by next-day delivery.

The femtocell is the one on the right called "4G LTE CellSpot".

Supposedly there's a deposit,

They "waived" the supposed deposit for me and for *every* one of my
relatives who got it (more than one). So I don't think there "is" a
deposit, in practice.

and you have to return the thing when you cancel service.

I think they said they'd charge me $400 if I didn't return it when they ask
for it, e.g., when they sent me a second repeater (aka signal booster).