Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer mouse switch going bad

"I have a 25 MHz 386 running Win98 SE because that is the
only machine my older Motorola radio programming software
will run on properly. "

I have a game that will not run on anything with a math coprocessor, so it is limited to a 386. It is an old poker game, runs nice and fast. Also there is a key that gives you all kinds of odds and stats. If you try to run it on anything 486 or newer you get a divide by zero error. I am pretty sure there is no "compatibility mode" or anything like that to make it run. It would have to disable the math coprocessor. The program also runs in DOS.

I got a windows based one which plays well on XP, runs kinda funny on Vista and won't run at all in Win 7. Both of these ran fine in Windows 3.1(1).

Like I said, it's not going to be the government forcing the old guy to update, it will be the software manufacturers. In my case I had to give up 98SE to connect to high speed internet. That was actually caused by Dlink.

I had 98SE running fairly stable. I loaded the PC and left it alone, no new software or anything like that.

One other thig bothers me is I had a Visioneer 6100B flatbed scanner. This was one exceptional scanner. It would scan in 3D. It kept in focus away from the glass. I scanned the ring gear from a Chevy van rear end, guns, our faces and all kinds of things. One thing I remember was a boat made of sheet metal, you've seen them, people make the out of beer cans. Well I scanned that and it picked up the whole thing even though it was bigger than the glass. So apparently the pickup in the thing had some weird pattern to it which allowed for this.

But I could not get XP drivers for it. I tried. It was also parallel port which is just about obsolete. I have a few year old PC that still has one, and also has PS/2 ports for keyboard ad mouse, which I use. I have an optical PS/2 mouse.

What I wonder is what anyone would have against an optical mouse. I would use nothing else. After all the trouble with the balls and getting a real surface to run an old mouse on I said "I want a frikken mouse that'll run on a gravel driveway" and an optical damnear will. The only thing it has trouble with is glass, or a mirror. At one poit I would only run a wireless keyboard because my wiring is a mess. But with the setup I have now it is not an issue.

Actually, my wireless USB keyboard ad mouse won't run in Linux. I tried to use OPHcrack on a machine and the damn thing would not do anything. I don't know if it would run in Win 7, didn't try.

I reloaded it, which gets me how they screw people. You can download the disk imagge of all these OSes for free. You get an ISO file which means you need the right software to rebuild the disk. Manufacturers are charging people for these restore CDs when they could get them for free, but without the nag-ware. Frikken they supposedly give you all this bundled software but it is all trial versions. Just download the proper OEM version from Microsoft.

Then you have to register it, and it is married to that machine. To reregister Win 7 I had to be online AND on the phone at the same time. But it worked. So don't let factory support stick it up your (_|_) charging you for something you actually already paid for.

You used to be able to trust big companies, now that is not true.