Thread: AED
View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default AED

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 10:33:09 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Our office will be purchasing an AED shortly. We are a multiple medical practice covering four states, and so have a long-term relationship with McKesson. Meaning I can get all the advice I want from their sales department, and that we have access to all brands.

Question: Has anyone *HERE* ever had the need to use such a device, service such a device or have any experience-based suggestions? A little bit of real-world experience might be useful.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

AEDs by their nature are designed to be easy to use. As an EMT, I have used these many times. Just to let you know... In real life, these RARELY shock anyone. Unlike TV, AEDs DO NOT shock a flatline (asystole). An AED will only shock someone if Ventricular Fibrulation (V-fib).

As far as brands go, I have used LIFEPACK and Philips either of which are good manufacturers and will work as designed.

The Philips has a key to use for pediatric patients where many others use different pad sets. The choice is up to you. Pick one that seems the easiest to use for you. All AEDs that I have seen over the years actually walk you through the process and provide clear diagrams for pad placement.

If you ever need to use one, listen to the prompts and follow them to the letter. Before you push the "deliver" or "shock" button (label will be different for each machine), be sure that NO-ONE is touching the patient. If they are they WILL get shocked and will likely become another patient.

Dan

Side note: Just so that people understand, contrary to popular belief, an AED does NOT "start" the heart. In reality it stops the heart for a second. Think of this as trying to get the attention of an out of control teenager... sometimes a good smack on the back of the head is required to get their attention. This is essentially what the AED does. It shocks the heart which stops for a beat before resetting and (hopefully) working normally.

I hope this helps.